Friday, January 2, 2009

A case of Austen-ism

'Tis only the second day of a brand new year and I have already decided that I have a serious case of Austenism. Austenism is a disease of the mind which affects judgement of and interaction with male human species. Symptoms include overindulgence in the pleasure of witty banters, swifness in deeming most men as insufferable creatures (& vice versa - most men find me insufferable as well), and a case of hopeless romantic idealism. These are typical traits of the heroine in most of Jane Austen novels, as well as, the alleged life story of the writer herself. The writer, whom died a spinster, gave her heroines the romantic happy endings which she was not blessed with in her life. Will my case of Austenism be one alike that of the character or of the author? Will I have my happy ending or am I destined to give every character his/her happy ending by the power of my pen?

1 comment:

teahouse said...

My dearest, how this must vex you greatly! But I'm sure it will pass, and more quickly in solitude. Soon you will find yourself in a happy situation, I am sure.